Re: Table workaround

Subject: Re: Table workaround
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 08:08:03 CST

At 11:18 AM +0100 12/20/00, Mike Nordell wrote:
>Oh, now I get it. But if every "table-line" was a "layout-line" (not ==
>fp_Line) and *it* took care of its cells height, and every cell got its own
>layouter (which it would have to), then I fail to see the problem.

        The "design" you are describing is the one that most folks
think of first when they try to implement tables - unfortunately it
doesn't work in the real world for a number of reasons. The easiest
way to "knock it down" is to ask about how text selection works
across cell boundaries - AND across table boundaries.

>Either
>I'm too simplistic or to ignorant for my own good, or this is the way to do
>it.

        Neither, you're just discovering the fun of tables ;). (your
design would work just fine for a static table renderer, but not for
an editable situation).

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65