Re: LaTex Tables?

Subject: Re: LaTex Tables?
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 08:36:54 CST

--- Jeffry Smith <smith@missioncriticallinux.com>
wrote:
> Although Lyx is probably not a good start, I've got
> "A Guide to LaTeX," which
> describes how to do tables in LaTeX on page 93. Has
> anyone looked at the
> LaTeX tags & code to see if we could use them? I'm
> just getting back into C++
> after over 10 years away from coding, so I'm not
> really up on it, but I know
> that LaTeX does do a good job of laying out tables,
> including text that spans
> multiple columns / multiple rows.

Sorry, but I disagree. In LaTeX is rather easy to do
simple tables, but if you want to do a complex table,
then you're in troubles.

> If there's interest, I'll look at the AbiWord XML
> definition & some of the
> XHTML ones, see what coding may make sense to
> convert LaTeX into an AbiWord
> specification.

?? I'm not aware of any AbiWord specification. Do
you mean convert the LaTeX table's format to XML to
embed it in an AbiWord file? It will be impossible,
because (among many other things) LaTeX uses some
chars to format tables that are reserved by XML (like
the `&' char).

Anyway I don't think that it's a smart idea. I think
that something like the HTML tables will fit better.

Cheers,

=====