Re: makewrapper.sh patch

Subject: Re: makewrapper.sh patch
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 20:34:24 CST

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 09:18:13PM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> There must be some way to determine whether Abi is running on the display. If I
> start kwm while kwm is already running on the same display, it notices this and
> exits, even if the two kwms are running on different computers.

Unfortunately, there are no ways of determining if a specific program
is running. You can't use binary names, since they can change. Even
writing to the hard disk somewhere is not reliable. Additionally,
doing this for displays is simply impossible, since the program may be
being run remotely.

Personally, I think that Kevin's fix is preferable to the current
situation. Kwrite just looks ugly, AbiWord doesn't work at all
(IIRC).

Of course, the best solution is to remove our dependance on supplying
our own fonts. But that's in the future.

                                sam th
                                sam@uchicago.edu
                                http://www.abisource.com/~sam
                                GnuPG Key: