Re: makewrapper.sh patch

Subject: Re: makewrapper.sh patch
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 21:05:08 CST

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 09:18:13PM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> I do not like this. I frequently run kwrite, and when I run it while Abi is
> open, looking at a C program, the syntax highlighting uses the Courier font
> that comes with Abi instead of the usual Courier Bold, and the result is ugly.
> If you don't remove the font directories from the font path, kwrite will
> continue doing this until I remove them manually.

No offense, but this is completely wrong. You're forgetting that Unix
is a multitasking operating system. Just becuase Abi is running doesn't
mean that no more applications are going to be opened on the same X
session until Abi quits. Heck, I run dozens of X applications at a time.

The preferable fix is to make the program not interfere with the
operation of other programs, which would probably involve throwing out
the current braindead Unix font system in favor of a more flexible one
based on either Freetype 2 or the new XFree86 Render extension. I'm
not sure which are applicable. I do not have very much knowledge about
the whole issue, but even though the original programmers have given
up trying to use normal, generic X fonts in favor of their own
specialized set of fonts, I think it would be well-worth the time to
look for workarounds and make AbiWord a normal GTK+/X app as far as
font-handling goes. Since AFAIK the whole font mess is Unix-specific,
I don't think this would be stepping on any other platforms' toes.