Re: UI design Q -- do people like "sticky" settings?

Subject: Re: UI design Q -- do people like "sticky" settings?
From: Kevin Vajk (kvajk@ricochet.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 22:21:51 CST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> 2. Nobody cares about toggling input modes. Anyone who uses VI or emacs
> keybindings hardwired their prefs long ago and wouldn't *dream* of touching
> that F12 key.

Personally, I do like to toggle back and forth between vi and default
mode on the fly. I do most of my work in default mode, but then
flip to vi mode for quick navigation through long paragraphs.

I'd like to be able to edit ~/.AbiSuite/AbiWord.Profile and set
ModeToggleKey="F12", or AllowF12ToToggleMode="1", or something
along those lines. (Obviously, having F12 switch the hapless
user into some bizarre editing mode must be disabled by default.)

Still, I don't realistically expect that a significant fraction
of Abiword users will ever know or care about vi/emacs mode, so
do what feels right to you; I'd still be using it even without
vi mode. :)

- Kevin Vajk
  <kvajk@ricochet.net>