Re: platform support for tri-state checkboxes?

Subject: Re: platform support for tri-state checkboxes?
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 06:50:43 CST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 06:28 PM 2/28/00 -0800, I wrote:
> >2. Keep it there as a tri-state checkbox instead. That way, you could
> >easily turn all the toolbars on or off at once. However, I'm not sure this
> >is all that useful.
>
> This reminds me -- what's the current level of support for tri-state
> checkbox widgets on each of our supported platforms?
>
> I know they've been around on Win32 for quite a while, which is why they're
> currently being used on the second pane of the paragraph dialog, but at the
> time, Shaw wasn't able to quickly scrounge one up for GTK, which surprised
> us both.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How hard will it be to come up with one for GTK/GNOME?
>
> 2. Are we going to encounter similar problems on BeOS, QNX, or the Mac?

For BeOS ... yes, for QNX ... no.

Of course there is nothing stopping the BeOS guys from rolling
their own (subclassing the checkbox) to have three states
instead of two.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf