Re: PATCH: Fix for printing symbols and variable width underlining.

Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix for printing symbols and variable width underlining.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@kosal0.triumf.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:49:47 CST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 sterwill@abisource.com wrote:

> After looking at the patch, is there any reason you changed the
> functions that use the ML macro, instead of changing the ML macro itself
> to include a "stroke" after the "lineto"?

It seemed the least intrusive thing to do at the time. I wasn't sure where
else ML was being used...

> My knowledge of PostScript is not
> very intimate, but it seems like putting the "stroke" into the ML macro
> will work. Perhaps it should also use "gsave" and "grestore", though, since
> the red book tells me "stroke" will clobber the current path (if there
> is one).

My reading of page 700 (which is the sum total of my knowledge of the
subject) is that stroke clears the current PATH so that another stroke
command doesn't include what has already been written out in another line
drawing operation. The receipe given on page 700 would mean that every
underline would be redrawn after each stroke. Clearly we don't want that! I
guess that it leaves the GC in its current state. I agree that putting
stroke into ML would probabally work and would be cleaner.

Cheers

Martin Sevior