Re: PNG files in RTF?

Subject: Re: PNG files in RTF?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 13:54:25 CST

At 06:39 AM 1/18/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 d.rose@salford.ac.uk wrote:
>> I'm desparately trying to get away from MSWord at work... aren't we
>> all?
>>
>> I thought Abi was the answer to my prayers (many thanks to all
>> contributors on this project!), but I may have found a glitch...
>>
>> I write a document in abiword, and embed 2 different .png files
>> into it, then save as rtf format so my colleagues using word can
>> see them, but when displayed in Word the 2 .png's show up as the
>> same graphic (the first to be inserted into the document).
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a problem with abiword's rtf export, or
>> word's rtf import routines... I can't find a report on Bugzilla
>> about it.
>
>yeah, that's a bug. it's #695 in bugzilla currently.

As a first step, it's worth opening up the RTF file in any text editor to
see whether two different binary blobs got added there (one for each image).
Either the blobs or blob references are identical, or they're very
different, which further helps localize the problem.

  HINT: It'll be easier to detect identical blobs if one image is much
        smaller than the other.

If someone's interested in trying to debug the actual code, here's the file
you want:

  abi/src/wp/impexp/xp/ie_exp_RTF_listenerWriteDoc.cpp

And this is probably the function:

  s_RTF_ListenerWriteDoc::_writeImageInRTF()

Once you're in the debugger, it should be pretty easy to start figuring out
what's going wrong here.

Paul