Re: Translations

Subject: Re: Translations
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 18:58:11 CST

At 12:30 AM 1/27/00 +0100, Henrik Berg wrote:
>I looked in the ap_Menu_LabelSet_XXXX.h and ap_TB_LabelSet_XXXX.h with grep
>and found that only EnUS, SvSE, DaDK and IdID had the latest menu and
>toolbar items.
>
>This feels bad. If there would be a 0.7.8 now most languages would have
>TODO in menus and toolbars. Can the people who called spend 30 minutes on at
>least:
>
>SUPERSCRIPT, SUBCRIPT and OVERLINE, then it would look much better.
>
>(If you post something like: ItIT SUPERSCRIPT=xxxx, SUBCRIPT=yyyy to me
>'henrik@lansen.se'I will include it)

Henrik,

Thanks for bringing this up. For a while now, it's been bugging me that our
translations get stale, but the only way we've had so far to deal with this
is just:

  - release it that way,
  - see who complains, and
  - try to get them to add to the translation. ;-)

I suppose you could say that this process works (if you squint right), but
it hardly Just Works.

So, as a reminder to any PERL/Python hackers on the list, we're still
looking for volunteers for the following POW:

We'd love to have a page for translators on our website which lists what
translation work is currently needed. For example, GNOME and KDE each
provide *tons* of this kind of information, updated daily by running a cron
job:

  http://i18n.kde.org/
  http://developer.gnome.org/arch/translate/
  http://www.gnome.org/i18n/

That's probably overkill for us, but any small step in the right direction
would help. (You provide the scripts, and we'll get them up and running
daily on the site.)

Paul