commit -- Re: XML

Subject: commit -- Re: XML
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 22:24:48 CST

Added XML declaration. Why not be nice to XML-only apps?

  M src/wp/impexp/xp/ie_exp_AbiWord_1.cpp

As if Sam's research below weren't conclusive enough, I remembered that
expat will keep us honest, since it's designed to barf on any content which
isn't well-formed in the first place.

At 03:19 AM 1/24/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>As per my reading of the XML standard, in order to place a <?xml=...> tag
>at the beginning of the document, the only requirement is that the
>document be well-formed (parse correctly). As far as I can tell (based on
>two over-the-web xml parsers) the documents that Abiword produces fit this
>criteria. Therefore, if this is true in general, we could add the above
>tag to our documents. However, in order to be VALID XML, we would have to
>include a DTD (or at least a link to one). As this seems unlikely for
>the short term, I think we should settle for keeping our XML well-formed.
>However, it would be bad if it stopped being well-formed, even if we had
>no <?xml?> tag.

Given other discussions on this thread, my motivation to ever add a DTD has
gone to zero. I think we can call this topic done, and claim success.

Paul