overwrite mode (was Re: New Insert Date and Time Patch)

Subject: overwrite mode (was Re: New Insert Date and Time Patch)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 00:42:16 CST

( Whoops! Looks like nobody answered this one. )

At 12:56 PM 1/15/00 +0300, Alexey Sinutin wrote:
>Also I've got a question. Is it good if I implement overwrite mode?

How complete an implementation were you thinking of? Were you planning to
do all of the following?

  1. add a new keybinding for the Ins key
  2. add a non-persistent per-frame setting to remember when to overwrite
  3. add a new indicator pane on the status bar (to the left of "default")
  4. honor that setting at the appropriate level

If so, I certainly have no objections. It's not a mode that I ever use, but
other folks do.

Paul

PS: For hints on how to implement #1, 2, and 3, see the F12 keybinding.