Funky cedilla behavior

Subject: Funky cedilla behavior
From: Juan Carlos Castro y Castro (jcastro@appi.com.br)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 11:50:42 CDT

When I start typing straight away on the blank document AbiWord gives me
at startup (default font is Times New Roman), whenever I type a cedilla
(ç) -- this is done on my keyboard layout by typing an apostrophe and
then c -- I get instead an æ (a and e as siamese brothers).

Now, if I change the font to anything and then back to Times New Roman,
the problem disappears and the cedillas appear ok. The bogus æ's remain
on the document. Any clues?

(Red Hat 6.0 on PII - Helix Gnome 1.2 - xmodmap in XFree86 3.3.6 - xfstt
0.9.99-2)