Re: patch: background checks

Subject: Re: patch: background checks
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 11:38:24 CDT

>> DebugFlash="1"

sam> This makes my version (even w/ realclean) very unhappy. It works the
sam> first time, but then turns off DebugFlash, kills lots of my prefs, and
sam> then won't start.
sam> **** (3) Assert ****
sam> **** (3) UT_SHOULD_NOT_HAPPEN at xap_Prefs.cpp:423 ****
sam> **** (3) Continue ? (y/n) [y] : y

That's sure a surprise. Just to be clear, do all these problems go
away if you don't try to set DebugFlash in your preferences?

I wonder why you see something different from what I see? You're
running on Linux, right? Maybe some little difference in the non-Abi
libraries in the environment or something.

sam> It think it has to do with much of the end of the prefs file
sam> getting summarily chopped off on shutdown.

Yeah, my guess is that it's probably triggering something that is a
real bug (in the preferences stuff) that I was developer-unlucky on
(by which I mean the bug didn't hit me). To be honest, I didn't trace
through the code to find out if it was legal to have a preference
value that wasn't in _builtin_. I just tried it and it worked with no
problems.

sam> Hope you can fix this, the code looks good.

If the problems only happen when you try to set DebugFlash, can you
commit the patch just to get it out of my hair? The DebugFlash thing
is just a sideline/demo to the feature, and it looks like the problem
is just in the preferences stuff used to activate it.

Tx