Re: Abiword help system

Subject: Re: Abiword help system
From: Ash (agordon@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 00:39:29 CDT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, john wrote:
> >
> > >I am setting up a learning center for absolute newbies. Would like to
> > >let them use
> > >Abiword. But since I cannot find any help or tutorials in release that I
> > >have, I
> > >don't think we can use Abiword.
> > >Can someone suggest a way for people to learn Abiword?
> > >tia
> > >John
> >
> > I think that this is indeed something that needs attention. It could be a
> > joined effort of people on the list here that already have some knowledge
> > about AbiWord to put together some kind of user-reference. Perhaps even in
> > a way that it is hooked together finally as a hypertext/website thing?
> > Anyone want to join in with this? I can't spare a lot of time on this at
> > the moment, but I would be game to set something up.
> >
> > Idea 1 (the HTML solution):
> >
> > Page 1: shows the top menu.
> > Click an option on the "menu", which takes you to a new page where the
> > clicked menu entry is explained.
> >
> > Idea 2 (Plain text):
> >
> > A walkthrough of writing a document, entirely written in AbiWord.
> >
> > Any givers, takers?
> >
> > Paul

Abiword (latest CVS) already has html help, and it would probably be pretty
easy to put that into an .abw file. However, the CVS version now includes a
help menu, that links directly to the help in hte users natural language.
Currently there are only english and french versions of the help.

It is quite up to date, and there are videos on how to use Abiword somewhere
on the web(I'm not sure where anymore). The help has had quite a few changes
since the 7.10 release so you should probably get one of the nightly builds or
CVS, and go from there.

Ash