Re: patch: Unix PS symbol problems

Subject: Re: patch: Unix PS symbol problems
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 01:12:03 CDT

ms> HI Bill, I'll look at this patch tommorrow. In the mean time you
ms> should know that the "Dingbats" font is also a custom encoded font
ms> so it will also fail the remapGlyphs() test. In addition people
ms> interested in implenting Latin-2 and other font sets should be
ms> aware of this problem...

I'd forgotten about that. Well, dingbats wouldn't have printed
correctly before the patch, so I guess it's not a big loss that it
doesn't print correctly after the patch (assuming Symbol encoding
instead of StandardEncoding).

If I were looking more thoroughly into the PS print driver, I would
ask myself why the screen driver, which uses GTK, mostly works. It's
because we make a GDK call to get character metrics for the screen
driver, whereas the print driver reads the metrics file directly.