Re: Test post, and a few Q's about the BeOS port..

Subject: Re: Test post, and a few Q's about the BeOS port..
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 07:30:01 CDT

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Ben Hall wrote:

> 1) I have been completely unable to save files w/ Abi 0.79 in BeOS R5 PE
> for x86. Is this in fact broken, or am I doing something wrong?

Sorry don't know. I know nothing about Be.

> I read that you had to explicitly add the extension .abw, which I tried,
> as well as putting it all in quotes, but it always just crashes.
>
> 2) Is it being actively developed, and by how many people? Will it be
> getting up to speed with the other versions soon?

Unfortunately not. It is rapidly falling behind the main platforms Linux
and Windows and the QNX port has now siginifcantly more functionality. I
don't think any work has been done on the Beos front end for at least 3
months. We just stubbed out calls to the Beos front end for new
functionality. It's sad :-(

> My programming skills aren't as good as I'd like, but I'll try to help
> if it's needed. I'm a 3rd yr CS student, I've been following AbiWord
> for a long time now (I don't remember the version, but it seems like
> well over a year..)

We really need someone to take up the Beos front end. Are you
volenteering?

> I keep trying to do my work reports with Abi, as it's the only WP I've
> found that works on more platforms than I do, but it always seems to
> fall a little short in some key areas, and I end out going back to
> StarOffice. (locked in to their file formats.. :( )

Export to rtf we can read that!

> Anyway, thanks for your time, and for the great program. I hope I can
> help,

Maintaining the BeOS front end would be a great help :-)

Cheers

Martin