RE: Overwrite mode (was Re: I hope this question is in the right forum)

Subject: RE: Overwrite mode (was Re: I hope this question is in the right forum)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 16:57:08 CDT

At 01:17 AM 6/6/00 -0500, sam th wrote:
>I believe that we decided earlier that this sort of thing should *not* go
>in the options dialog. I can't find the thread at the moment, but Paul
>might remember where it is, since he was the one that talked about the
>need to keep some options out of the Options dialog.

The most recent thread is here:

The UI for toggling out of INS mode is very common in desktop apps, as is
the status bar indicator which reflects the current mode. Shipping with
this on by default is how most people would expect the product to Just Work.

However, some folks on the list don't like this behavior, which is why I
also added the InsertModeToggle preference. Change it once in your profile
and it's gone forever.

Paul

PS: If anyone's really committed to adding more GUI control over this
mini-feature, might I suggest a context-menu over the status bar indicator?
After some initial setup work, it'd be totally XP and much better-localized.