Blank Paragraphs

Subject: Blank Paragraphs
From: Paul Egli (pegli@sourcegear.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 17:02:21 CDT

Blank paragraphs have been causing Abiword plenty of trouble. I was happy
to see bug fixes committed for bugs 431, 452, 565, etc. After messing
around with the latest build of Abiword on Linux (actually it was last
Wednesday), I found that empty paragraphs were still giving me trouble.

After closing bug 452, I realized that it can still be reproduced if you
load the text, rather than type it into a new window. To reproduce this, do
the following:
Create new document; type a character; hit return a few times; type another
character; save it close it; open it; select all; change font size to 72.
The blank lines do not change even though you selected everything: the same
problem as described in bug 452.

Another problem I noticed (or perhaps the same problem in a different form)
is that either saving or loading a file (i'm not sure which) reverts blank
paragraphs to default font settings. To reproduce:
Create new document; change font size to 72; type a character; hit return a
few times; type another character; save it; close it; open it.
The blank lines revert to the default font settings somewhere in the
process of saving/loading the document.

There was a fix committed for bug 565, but I have been able to reproduce it
still, using the same method that I just described:
Create new document; type a character; hit return twice; type another
character; save it close it; open it; select all; make it bold; now try to
un-bold.
Oops: can't un-bold. Bug 565 strikes again.
I could also reproduce it like this:
Create new document; type a character; hit return; type another character;
hit the left arrow to put your cursor in front of that character; hit
return; select all; make it bold; now try to un-bold.

It seems as if there are two kinds of blank paragraphs: those that function
correctly and those annoying, corrupted ones that use the default font
settings, refuse to change font settings, and are a general pain in the
neck (as in bugs 452 and 565). The annoying, corrupted, blank paragraphs
can be created either by loading a document with blank paragraphs or by
pressing return at the beginning of a non-blank line.

-Paul Egli