Re: Blank Paragraphs

Subject: Re: Blank Paragraphs
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 10:30:45 CDT

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Egli <pegli@sourcegear.com> writes:

Paul> Blank paragraphs have been causing Abiword plenty of trouble. I
Paul> was happy to see bug fixes committed for bugs 431, 452, 565,
Paul> etc. After messing around with the latest build of Abiword on
Paul> Linux (actually it was last Wednesday), I found that empty
Paul> paragraphs were still giving me trouble.

Somewhat related, loading a document with a page break causes a segv
due to one of the functions I added - it seems to be because Runs get
added to a NULL line. I'll have to look closer at that this weekend.

Paul> Another problem I noticed (or perhaps the same problem in a
Paul> different form) is that either saving or loading a file (i'm not
Paul> sure which) reverts blank paragraphs to default font
Paul> settings. To reproduce: Create new document; change font size to
Paul> 72; type a character; hit return a few times; type another
Paul> character; save it; close it; open it. The blank lines revert
Paul> to the default font settings somewhere in the process of
Paul> saving/loading the document.

This (and probably the issues with bold) I guess is because the empty
Runs added while getting to a new page/paragraph (while typing) do not
get the proper attributes from the Runs on the previous line. I had an
idea of how to fix this, but I'll be working on something else this
weekend which may also fix it (but don't hold your breath - I could
easily be misunderstanding what the problem you describe is caused
by!)

Jesper