Re: fields design -- proposed edit/select behaviors

Subject: Re: fields design -- proposed edit/select behaviors
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 15:40:14 CDT

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> >One other feature request :-). A small drag within a field selected the
> >entire field.
>
> We've already got a quick mouse-driven means for selecting the entire field
> (double-click) which overrides the usual word-level double-click semantics.
> Do we really want to remove the usual drag semantics for selecting portions
> of the field?
>
> That'd leave us with no mouse-driven way to do selections. I suppose it
> could be argued that this is a good thing, since it really discourages
> editing inside fields. However, that just seems like overkill.

When selecting text in a field in Word, when you hit one of the field
edges, it causes the entire field to be selected. This makes it impossible
to format characters on the ends of a field.

Now, I've never had an actual need to format the end characters in a
field, but since you can individually select and format the middle
characters, the fact that I cannot select a subregion including an end
drives me crazy.

I propose for AbiWord's fields, we fix that obviously broken behavior.
Selecting to the end of a field just stops the selection on that end, and
does not select the entire field. There are other ways to select the whole
thing, but (otherwise) none to do the above.

Justin