Re: Bitmap Importer Patch

Subject: Re: Bitmap Importer Patch
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 03:10:27 CDT

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Michael D. Pritchett wrote:

> I realize that this is not on any immediate to do list, but I wanted a Jpeg
> importer. This was my first step to getting there. As I become more
> familiar with the code-base and coding priciples, I can help squash some of
> the pesky bugs.

Your patch is backwards, but other than that it looks good.

As we add more graphics formats, we'll need to address a couple of
different points:

1. The importer should be capable of identifying and importing a byte
stream as well as load them from file, so that we can make use of the
importers in other document importers (loading BMPs will likely be used in
the Word importer, too, for instance) and via pasting images into the
application.

2. We'll need something better than the isPNG/isValidImage function in use
know. Probably something like how the document importers work, where each
gets a chance to look at the data and decide if they know what to do with
it.

Other than that, I agree that image importers should just convert their
data to PNGs for internal use.

If there's nothing else we need, we can start adding many more image
importers. The gdk-pixbuf code would be a good source to draw from.

Justin