Re: Perl as a dependency?

Subject: Re: Perl as a dependency?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 00:56:55 CDT

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Eric W. Sink wrote:

> >It seems like it runs on windows and unix. Good. But it would make perl a
> >prerequisite for building AbiWord. I have a feeling that the SourceGear
> >people are going to say no, but it's worth a try ;-).
>
> Now what would ever give you that idea? ;-)

It would a relatively quick Python hack to give you a lot of what you
want. We need to scan through the abi source files looking for occurances
of a changed header file. Everytime we find the header file in a *.c or
*.cpp file we touch that file. If we find the header file in another
header file we include it in our list of files that require touching.

So I suggest we proceed as follows. Take a list of altered header files
from the command line. Scan through all the *.h files looking for
occurances of any of of these header files. If we find it, include the new
header file in our list.

When finished the first pass, scan the sources again and touch the *.c and
*.cpp files with the header files in out list.

Then do a standard make.

So I envision:

touching_script xap_App.h
make

No need to change the Make files. It's a hack but it will do what you
want. I'll write a python script to do this within a few days unless a
perl hacker beats me to it :-) Of course we all know I have a great
advantage coz Python's better than Perl.

A further itteration would be to use make to give a list of changed *.h
and *.cpp files. Then we wouldn't need to enter the initial list of *.h
files by hand and we would only touch *.cpp and *.c files that were
not up to date

Cheers

Martin