Re: commit -- [manifesto] no more mangling

Subject: Re: commit -- [manifesto] no more mangling
From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 11:43:50 CDT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Jon Niehof wrote:

> > a tab implemented that was named "Platform-specific
> > options"?

> No offense, but that sounds like something from interface
> design hell.

Agree.

> I can understand how it would simplify the
> design and such, but I'm just envisioning my mother trying
> to figure out what "platform-specific" means on the one hand
> and how the hell she's going to get those thingies after the
> dot on the other hand.

My mother doesn't really understand what she's doing anyway,
but I know what you mean :-)

> I htink part of the point of a cross-platform product is to
> make sure the user doesn't know what platform they're
> running on.

I disagree here. Mozilla has taken that route, with the
result that (IMHO) they suck on all of their platforms.

The Abi approach is to try and ensure that the user does
not know that the application isn't specific to their
platform.

Except for the MDI issues (which I imagine would be hell
to deal with), Abiword has been very sucessful at this.

Matthew.