Smart Quotes pointer and Be stuff..

Subject: Smart Quotes pointer and Be stuff..
From: Ben Hall (bhall@crosskeys.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 10:07:13 CDT

Hello everybody,

I'm on a few other mailing lists, and I thought that this might be
interesting for the people concerned with Smart Quotes:

Quote:

DEMORONISER:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

I've been getting many text and HTML documents emailed to me lately with
the non-standard Microsoft quotation characters ("smart quotes") that
don't show up on non-Microsoft platforms (or show up as ugly ?'s). The
demoroniser is a simple PERL script that changes the quotation marks to
the standard characters. It also fixes some sloppy HTML coding, but I
haven't had the need for that (yet).

End Quote:

Anyway, I don't know if this is old news, but I thought you might be
interested..

> Nobody at SourceGear currently works on the BeOS port, nor do we intend to.
> From the beginning, we decided to actively maintain Linux and Windows
> ports, and let the chips fall where they may. If the Be community cares,
> so will we. If not, we won't either. We will be sad, but like the Mac
> port, we don't intend to prop up an OS nobody else cares about enough to
> invest some time in. Now, should someone such as yourself start to make
> some improvements, I will help you in every way I can; testing, bug
> tracking, builds, and notification to sites when new releases are cut. In
> the meantime, send in a patch, and we will check it out and get it
> committed.

This makes perfect sense, and I understand completely. To be honest,
I'm not overly sold on the viabilty of BeOS, as Be inc. doesn't seem to
be too supportive of it as a desktop OS. Whatever, I spend my days in
Solaris and my evenings in Be/Linux/FreeBSD depending.. I'm going to
try to help out on the BeOS port, though.

Thanks for all of the helpful/interesting e-amils I've been getting,
I'll post my changes to the save as dialog shortly.

Ben