Re: "Standard Symbols"

Subject: Re: "Standard Symbols"
From: Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 11:40:25 CDT

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:
> Doesn't X have a "font alias" feature like the FontSubstitution (sp?) in
> Windows? There must be a way to tell Unix, "look, whenever I say 'Symbol' I
> actually mean 'Standard Symbols'." This way we don't change the name of an
> existing font and achieve compatibility.

Sure, X can be tricked into using a different name a few different ways.
In our unixfonts package, we include a "fonts.dir" which contains both the
true names for the font files we package as well as a few aliases ("Times
New Roman", etc.). Many of these names are not the proper font names for
files they map to, but are more obvious to new users. Giving them familiar
names also provides a more accurate mapping between documents done on
Windows and Unix.

I guess the right way to do this mapping would be to create a "fonts.alias"
in the unixfonts package, with mappings for these newly proposed aliases.
I just put the aliases in "fonts.dir" while I was deciding on the names and
styles to support, and I would recommend sticking any more aliases in
"fonts.dir" now (unless someone wants to change all the installers to
install a "fonts.alias"). Just copy the four lines (normal, bold, italic,
bold italic) and change the name field. Don't forget to update the count
at the top by four.

--
Shaw Terwilliger <sterwill@abisource.com>