Symbol Font transfer, bug 924 (was Re: Patch Prize winners)

Subject: Symbol Font transfer, bug 924 (was Re: Patch Prize winners)
From: Paul Egli (pegli@sourcegear.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 12:07:03 CDT

>>Ah, can you answer a question for me? You are just the person I need! Can
>>you put a few standard symbols (bullets in particular) in a document in
>>linux and open it in Windows (under Abi). Do you see the correct symbols?
>>
>>Can you then export to rtf and open it in windows as an rtf file? Do you
>>see the symbols correctly?
>

>Yea, this was on my list of things to do for tomorrow. Still, it's a good
>thing you explicitly asked, because otherwise I probably would have let it
>slip. Either Paul Egli or I will give this a thorough beating tomorrow
>during the day North America time and let you know what happens.

Here's what I happened for me:
It doesn't matter what file format you use (I tried both .abw and .rtf) and
it doesn't matter what platform you start and end with (I tried
Windows->Linux and Linux->Windows) the results are the same:
When you load a document which contains symbols and was created on another
platform, the symbols don't look right. What happens is that when it loads
the document, the ASCII (or whatever) values are correct, but it displays
the glyphs from the font Arial.

I've logged this as bug #924. Bug #922 may also be related.

-Paul Egli