Re: Scripting

Subject: Re: Scripting
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 01:53:21 CDT

> I'd propose CORBA. The language is *not* imbedded in application. It's
> outside it. Internally, CORBA support means adding wrappers to
> internal objects you want to be scriptable. Scripts typcially run in
> external processes, and can use any language they want. Erik could
> script in Python (I script my window manager in Python via CORBA),
> Aaron could write Scheme, and others could also use Java, C, or any
> other language with a CORBA ORB (the code that links into your
> application) - which means pretty much anything, even Perl

You know, I like this idea. I think it's a really productive disucssion
when people come up with better solutions than the original posters. I
knew about CORBA, but I didn't put two and two together to come up with
the idea as a solution.

CORBA is very standard on many platforms, and it would be even better for
these purposes than guile. As long as enough functonality is exported to
make the program extensible, this would rock!

Count my vote for CORBA :)

Thanks,
Aaron Lehmann