Re: Scripting

Subject: Re: Scripting
From: Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 02:31:57 CDT

Aaron Lehmann writes:
> > I'd propose CORBA. The language is *not* imbedded in application. It's
> You know, I like this idea. I think it's a really productive disucssion
> when people come up with better solutions than the original posters. I
> knew about CORBA, but I didn't put two and two together to come up with
> the idea as a solution.

CORBA could make the Unix desktop an *incredible* environment, if
enough people used it. How'd you like to use AbiWord as the editor
portion of an IDE? Given an IDE that can be configured to look for an
"editor" CORBA object, and AbiWord with such an object exported, it
could happen. (For those into the obscure, the SAS C compiler came
with an IDE that did this kind of thing, though I don't know if anyone
configured a word processor for the editor part).

> CORBA is very standard on many platforms, and it would be even better for
> these purposes than guile. As long as enough functonality is exported to
> make the program extensible, this would rock!

Getting the functionality right is the critical part. I've had quite a
bit of experience at it. You can find a paper on scripting interface
design I wrote years ago (1990?) at <URL:
http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/rexx-interface-design/Contents.html
>. It's tied to a specific language, but much of it is relevant
anyway.

        <mike