Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)

Subject: Re: image support (was Re: Core-dump during startup on AIX-4.3.2)
From: Jon Niehof (jnieho38@calvin.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 09:06:57 CST

> > I thought that was only for compression, so that using
> > libungif (which only has decompression code) would be
> > fine.
>
> That was my impression too. (If anyone knows otherwise,
> please speak up.) To avoid patent hassles, I definitely
> do not want to link any code into our product which is
> capable of writing compressed GIFs.
Yes, this is the case. I would suggest using libungif as the
basis, with perhaps an option for linking in libgif (which
will write compressed GIFs) with warnings that you're on
your own with getting a copy of libgif, patent problems,
etc.

The latest stink is that Unisys is shaking down websites
that use GIF's. You have to *prove* that the program you're
using is licensed, otherwise they slap you for $5,000. It's
now the responsibility of the end user, not the application
developer, to obtain the license. (i.e. if I, in good faith,
use a program that writes compressed GIF's and claims to be
licensed, I'm responsible if the author/distributor is lying
to me).

--Jon, N9RUJ jnieho38@calvin.edu www.calvin.edu/~jnieho38

The boy's pure dang-nasty evil! Everyone else
        can sense it, why can't you?
--Star Wars, Episode II: The Menace Strikes Back