Re: More Files for Macintosh

Subject: Re: More Files for Macintosh
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 22:59:51 CST

At 11:10 AM 3/6/00 -0600, Bryan Prusha wrote:
> More Files is a package of Macintosh routines which simplifies
>(among other things) conversion of the Macintosh FSSpec (Files System
>Specification) to full pathname and back. They were developed by Jim
>Luther of Apple Developer Technical Support. These are very useful tools
>and I wouldn't think about starting any new Mac development without them.
>They are freely downloadable and the author and "You may incorporate this
>sample code into your applications without restriction". While it isn't
>open under GPL, I don't believe there should be any legal issues with their
>inclusion. As the first task at hand for getting AbiWord to launch on Mac
>is getting the fullpath to the preferences directory, I'd appreciate it if
>these 9 source files and their 11 corresponding headers could be included
>in the cvs repository for the Mac build.
>
>More Files can be downloaded in binhex format from
>http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/dev/more-files-149.hqx.
>
>The important files are located within MoreFiles 1.4.9:Sources and
>MoreFiles 1.4.9:C Headers.

Bryan,

As with any Mac-specific work, feel free to propose a specific patch to the
tree for this.

I'm quite willing to trust your technical judgement that all that code is
worth having, instead of just copying the bits you need to implement a few
mac-specific util functions. (All I know about the Mac file system is that
it uses colons.) However, I can't comment on the license until I've seen it.

I did try hitting Jim Luther's web site for more info on the MoreFiles 1.5
license or sources:

  http://members.aol.com/jumplong/#MoreFiles

Without tools to peek inside .sit or .hqx files, it wasn't much help. ;-)

Paul