Re: More Files for Macintosh

Subject: Re: More Files for Macintosh
From: Bryan Prusha (bryanp@wolfram.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 23:19:22 CST

>Bryan,
>
>As with any Mac-specific work, feel free to propose a specific patch to the
>tree for this.
>
>I'm quite willing to trust your technical judgement that all that code is
>worth having, instead of just copying the bits you need to implement a few
>mac-specific util functions. (All I know about the Mac file system is that
>it uses colons.) However, I can't comment on the license until I've seen it.
>
>I did try hitting Jim Luther's web site for more info on the MoreFiles 1.5
>license or sources:
>
> http://members.aol.com/jumplong/#MoreFiles
>
>Without tools to peek inside .sit or .hqx files, it wasn't much help. ;-)
>
>Paul

        Here's a copy of the header from the MoreFiles sources. I
apoligize ahead of time if this wraps horribly! BTW, this has allowed me
to trivially solve the problem of getting a full path to the preferences
directory.

/*
** Apple Macintosh Developer Technical Support
**
** Routines for dealing with full pathnames... if you really must.
**
** by Jim Luther, Apple Developer Technical Support Emeritus
**
** File: FullPath.c
**
** Copyright © 1995-1998 Apple Computer, Inc.
** All rights reserved.
**
** You may incorporate this sample code into your applications without
** restriction, though the sample code has been provided "AS IS" and the
** responsibility for its operation is 100% yours. However, what you are
** not permitted to do is to redistribute the source as "DSC Sample Code"
** after having made changes. If you're going to re-distribute the source,
** we require that you make it clear in the source that the code was
** descended from Apple Sample Code, but that you've made changes.
*/

        As for the possibility of only including pieces of the MoreFiles
code, I would suggest including all of it for two reasons; 1) several of
the files are dependant on one another and 2) if they are ever updated (as
for it's recent Carbonization) they will be a trivial update.

        As for a patch, I have not yet made one. As I have full CVS access
at work, I haven't had a need to make one yet. Any tips here? In the
meantime, I could attach the 20 files to an e-mail (not to the list, just
to those who could do something with them).

        I have attached Luther's ReadMe for those who would like to take a
peak.

     Bryan Prusha Wolfram Research, Inc.
          Coding is life. The rest is just 1's and 0's.