Re: Compiling Abi with bcc32

Subject: Re: Compiling Abi with bcc32
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 23:41:27 CST

Harald Fernengel wrote:
> A while ago Borland (Inprise) put their command line compiler bcc32
> with the complete STL, a linker and so on on their website for free
> download. You can get it from:

If you're looking for a free compiler for Windows, I'd highly suggest
the GNU C Compiler, which is the portable optimizing compiler we
use for most of our Unix builds. There are DOS and Win32 ports of
GCC (somtimes called "DJGPP" on these platforms), and it's truly
Free Software (source code included, not just a freebie binary). It's
also been used to compile some very well-tested software on Unix and
Win32 platforms (id Software's "Quake" games, for example). You can
find easy to install binary packages of GCC for Windows.

Modifying our Makefiles to use GCC for the Win32 front end should be
as easy or easier than modifying our Makefiles to use another Win32
compiler (many of the GCC command line options are done for you in
the Unix configurations).

--
Shaw Terwilliger