Framebuffer port, again!

Subject: Framebuffer port, again!
From: ArcadePreserv Center (arcadepreserv@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 04:34:44 CST

I recently suggested a port of AbiWord to use only the Linux framebuffer, to
be more useable on very low end systems.

If I have interpreted the discussion that followed correctly a direct port
of AbiWord is not at all needed or wanted.

I have been looking at GTK. From what I understand *all* you have to port to
get a full GTK enviroment ported is GDK, the underlying drawing toolkit.
This has also been done, there is a ms-windows port of GDK, GTK and the
gimp, using the former.

So, to get the GTK version of AbiWord to run on small (embedded ?) system,
we need to port GDK to a non X-windows enviroment.

I just want to point out to everyone interested that NOW is the time to do
this, soon is to late. Trolltech has announced that there will soon be a QT
version that uses only the framebuffer, aiming at low end and embedded
systems. If we dont, and I dont, want to loose grounds for our free GTK
toolkit to the propriatery QT toolkit all interested should act now.