RE: Entering Czech Latin2 characters

Subject: RE: Entering Czech Latin2 characters
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 06:52:51 CST

>> Us iconv to translate, it's a good tool. I have created UT_iconv... functions so
>> translation can be done platform specific.

> Cause I don't see anything like "X11 keysyms -> Unicode" translator in iconv, i make my own.
> Now it convert Cyrillic symbols (0x06A0 - 0x06FF) to Unicode and pass throw 0x00-0x7F keys
> to Unicode.

If you could make a "X11 keysyms -> Unicode" for iconv (glibc) or libiconv the world would be a better place, but to make it compleate it must be some work. I think it's strange there is no conversion allready.

Does anybody else have a "X11 keysyms -> Unicode" table?

> Also I make translation "Unicode ->KOI8-R(Unix cyrillic)".
> Now it working. But now there are some problems:
> 1. There are a lot of Type 1 fonts with CP1251 (_Windows_ cyrillic) encoding,
> but amount of KOI8-R Type 1 fonts (_Unix_ cyrillic) are not enough.
> 2. Unix KOI8-R standart is not really _cyrillic_. It's a _russian_ standart.
> Ukrainian "ie", "yi", ukrainian-byelorussian "i", byelorussian "short u" are absent in
> KOI8-r, but this letters presen in win-CP1251. I want to make a support both for KOI8-R and
> CP1251 fonts in gr_UnixGraphics, but I don't know how to get a encoding part of font metrics,
> such as "-iso-8859-1", "-koi8-r" without parsing the "fonts.dir" file.

If you should parse "fonts.dir" or some other way, I don't know, I'm not into X11. But when you have that information (windows-1250,1251,1252..., iso-8859-N or koi8-r) you could easy use iconv to translate. That would work for everybody and everybody would be happy!

The user would still have to select a font that contains the chars that is types in, but thats much better than nothing.

--hb