Re: Framebuffer port, again!

Subject: Re: Framebuffer port, again!
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 09:17:27 CST

At 11:00 AM 3/23/00 +0000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:
>
>> framebuffer <--> GDK <--> GTK <--> AbiWord, etc.
>
>You're missing a layer there. GDK expects to run on top of
>a windowing system, not a graphics library. You need it to
>provide the usual GUI things like multiple overlapping
>windows and event management.
>
>Font and palette management are useful too, though they can
>I believe, be done inside GDK if your platform doesn't provide
>the necessary functionality itself.

Doh! Thanks for the correction.

The general point still holds though, right? All of those services need to
be provided in some layer between the framebuffer and AbiWord, so a more
accurate comparison would be:

  framebuffer <--> glue1 <--> GDK <--> GTK <--> AbiWord
  framebuffer <--> glue2 <--> AbiWord

The practical question is how much work implementing glue1 saves you
relative to implementing all of glue2. There's quite a large gap to cover
between ...

  ... what AbiWord expects (services provided by a modern GUI)
  ... what a raw framebuffer provides (almost nothing)

I certainly didn't mean to trivialize what it takes to get GDK running on a
framebuffer, but I do *hope* it'd save you at least some work somewhere that
GTK does for you. :-)

Paul