RE: Visual C++ Standard or Professional?

Subject: RE: Visual C++ Standard or Professional?
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 03:15:49 CST

> I understand that The MS Windows version requires Visual C++ 5.0. It's
> mentioned that 6.0 should also work. Would this be 6.0 Standard Edition or
> Professional? ( will need to purchase one or the other to be able to work
> on AbiWord and the price difference is approx. $160 between upgrade
> Professional and Standard Edition after rebate. Needless to say, I'd rather
> go with the cheaper version, since I have no use for Visual C++ otherwise
> (prefer to work with former Borland, no Inprice products).

I use VS 6.0 professional but it should be OK with Standard. Abi uses only standard Win32 API and nothing fancy at all. It vould be fine with a VC 6.0 RockBottom if that would exist :)

One thing about 5.0 vs. 6.0. There are meny new defines and structs for Win98/4.0/2000 and IE4/5 in VS 6.0, so don't be surpriced if you add something that breaks for VC 5.0, I have done it (more than once :)

--hb