Re: Word count nitpicks

Subject: Re: Word count nitpicks
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:37:25 CST

At 02:52 AM 3/26/00 +0000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>1) The labels are centered. I think they would lock better left-alligned.
>But that's just my opinion.

Feel free to submit a patch for this. I don't know what Thomas did on QNX,
but they're left-aligned on Win32. ;-)

>3) The word count menu item has three periods after it. Doen't this mean
>that the command requires information from the user to complete? That's
>what the Apple human interface manual says, and I don't know if it was
>inherited by other platforms. All menu commands in AbiWord that bring up a
>dialog have a "..." after them, and the only two I can find that should
>not according to the preceding definition are "About AbiWord Personal..."
>and "Word Count...".

I haven't read Apple's guidelines, but my usual expectations are that any
menu item with three dots brings up a dialog. Since the menu item for Mac
about boxes also has three dots, I think we're fine as is.

>Other than these, the word count dialog looks great. It's much better than
>the one I have used in old revisions of MS Word where the user had to
>press "Count" to get any numbers and then wait a few second for it to
>tally the figures.

Thanks.

Paul