Re: consensus on menu dots? (was Re: Word count nitpicks)

Subject: Re: consensus on menu dots? (was Re: Word count nitpicks)
From: Bryan Prusha (bryanp@wolfram.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 17:14:41 CST

        FYI, the '...' is reffered to as an ellipsis. On Macintosh (of
which, I admit, I haven't gotten the AbiWord port moving yet) an ellipsis
is used any time there is "more information/input required to complete the
given command". Ellipses in a menu item are typically indicitave of a
dialog, the form in which many about boxes are implemented. If this thread
was reffering only to the use of ellipsis in GNOME, I apologise, otherwise,
keep the dots! =)

At 17:03 -0600 3/30/00, James Montgomerie wrote:
>"Paul Rohr" wrote:
>
>> Subject: consensus on menu dots? (was Re: Word count nitpicks)
>>
>> However, if this GNOME interface innovation catches on with users, we
>can
>> easily address that.
>
>I may have the wrong end of the stick, but are people arguing that
>'About' menu items should not have a '...'?
>
>Just thought I'd point out that the Help->About items in the standard
>GNOME apps do have a '...' after them. (have a look - they're even in
>the REALLY standard things like the gnome panel)
>
>Jamie.

     Bryan Prusha Wolfram Research, Inc.
          Coding is life. The rest is just 1's and 0's.