Re: cut and paste on Linux

Subject: Re: cut and paste on Linux
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 20:08:42 CDT

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bryan Cebuliak wrote:

> One of the beautiful features of Linux and X windows as opposed to lesser OS's
> is the mouse cut and paste option. Editing is sped up immensely. Can we have
> this in Abiword? Also, why doesn't Abiword recognize copies and cuts from other
> programs in X windows managers?
> Bryan Cebuliak

HI Brian,
         I've just tried this. Abiword accepts text from xterm's and
netscape. xterm's and netscape also accept text from abiword. However the
gnome terminals (gterm) does not pass text on to abiword though it accepts
it if is sourced from abiword. However text taken from gnome-terminal is
accepted by xterm and netscape.

Arrg! This is a can of worms. It is not clear whose fault this is.

I'm running Enlightenment 0.163 on redhat 6.2. I know you're running
Xfree4.0, what window manager do you use? Does Abiword accepted text
selected from any application you run. (Try netscape and xterm. They both
seem well behaved.)

Cheers

Martin