Re: cut and paste on Linux

Subject: Re: cut and paste on Linux
jeff@abisource.com
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 22:41:54 CDT

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 11:08:42AM +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bryan Cebuliak wrote:
> > One of the beautiful features of Linux and X windows as opposed to lesser OS's
> > is the mouse cut and paste option. Editing is sped up immensely. Can we have
> > this in Abiword? Also, why doesn't Abiword recognize copies and cuts from other
> > programs in X windows managers?
>
> I've just tried this. Abiword accepts text from xterm's and
> netscape. xterm's and netscape also accept text from abiword. However the
> gnome terminals (gterm) does not pass text on to abiword though it accepts
> it if is sourced from abiword. However text taken from gnome-terminal is
> accepted by xterm and netscape.
>
> Arrg! This is a can of worms. It is not clear whose fault this is.
>
> I'm running Enlightenment 0.163 on redhat 6.2. I know you're running
> Xfree4.0, what window manager do you use? Does Abiword accepted text
> selected from any application you run. (Try netscape and xterm. They both
> seem well behaved.)

a can of worms indeed !!

when i wrote all of this i felt the need to put
about 120 lines of comments at the top of the
file (with a twinge of sarcasm directed at X11)
describing how all of this works or is supposed
to work or how (if the moon is full) might work.
but i digress... :-)

for the curious, see
http://www.abisource.com/lxr/source/abi/src/af/xap/unix/xap_UnixClipboard.cpp

if you run AbiWord with debugging on and watch
the debug log output, you should see a series
of messages beginning with "Clipboard:" they
pretty much audit everything going on (on the abi
side of things that is). perhaps that will reveal
what's happening with the apps that we don't play
nicely with....

cheers,
jeff