Re: cut and paste on Linux

Subject: Re: cut and paste on Linux
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:16:59 CDT

On Tue, 9 May 2000 jeff@abisource.com wrote:

> > Arrg! This is a can of worms. It is not clear whose fault this is.
> >

> a can of worms indeed !!
>
> when i wrote all of this i felt the need to put
> about 120 lines of comments at the top of the
> file (with a twinge of sarcasm directed at X11)
> describing how all of this works or is supposed
> to work or how (if the moon is full) might work.
> but i digress... :-)
>
> for the curious, see
> http://www.abisource.com/lxr/source/abi/src/af/xap/unix/xap_UnixClipboard.cpp

I read your comments and actually started looking at the code a couple of
days ago until I realised it was not what I wanted and I really didn't
want to try to understand what you're doing. I gather from the code that
you actually try to exchange rtf format with any other program that will
accept it. Otherwise you fall back to regular ascii. It all looked really
hairy. I think I will leave this bug for the time being :-)

> if you run AbiWord with debugging on and watch
> the debug log output, you should see a series
> of messages beginning with "Clipboard:" they
> pretty much audit everything going on (on the abi
> side of things that is). perhaps that will reveal
> what's happening with the apps that we don't play
> nicely with....

Are there any couragous X11 hackers out there? :-)

Cheers

Martin