Cursor as its own entity and display elements relations

Subject: Cursor as its own entity and display elements relations
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 02:58:06 CDT

I've made some progress regarding the "cursor is its own entity that
knows where it is, and how it should go .eg. 'up' ", but progress is a
little slow right now. It's ... "interesting" to have to work in "a few"
different coordinate systems at once (currently PT_DocPosition, display
x/y and fp_Line+fp_Run+run offset, but I think PT_BlockOffset and line +
display x will be needed). Which brings me to the question.

Do we, or do we plan, to support text that flows around "frames" (e.g. a
picture in the middle of the text). Currenlty everything regarding layout
(display) is AFAIK based on the strictly linear relationship
page->column->line->run, where an inserted e.g. picture gets placed on
its own fp_Line. If this is the rock-hard (display) relationship, I think
the class I'm working on will fit nicely. If not...

The metaphor I use for cursor/insert-point position right now is
internally based on that it knows what fp_Line it's on, it knows what
fp_Run in that line its on, and it is to know what "character" offset in
that fp_Run it's on. "StickyX" is of course based on screen x-coord. It
might be that it should also know what column it's currently in, but
that's probably a later issue.

/Mike - please reply to AbiWord-dev only