Re: Cursor as its own entity and display elements relations

Subject: Re: Cursor as its own entity and display elements relations
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 11:22:55 CDT

At 08:58 AM 5/13/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Do we, or do we plan, to support text that flows around "frames" (e.g. a
>picture in the middle of the text). Currenlty everything regarding layout
>(display) is AFAIK based on the strictly linear relationship
>page->column->line->run, where an inserted e.g. picture gets placed on
>its own fp_Line. If this is the rock-hard (display) relationship, I think
>the class I'm working on will fit nicely. If not...

Yes, this is something we plan to do, but I suggest waiting until after
1.0. Here is why. Back in 1995, a bunch of people who now have @abisource
mail addresses added this feature to a browser. The barrage of screw cases
that result are beyond belief. I know, because I created them. Doing
floating images correctly is *really* hard. I am sure Eric will want to
speak to this from the coding issues point of view.

The bottom line is that any work we do should consider the fact that we
will have floating images someday, and that day is not tomorrow.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist