Re: cut and paste on Linux

Subject: Re: cut and paste on Linux
From: Petr Tesarik (tesarik@lupa.cz)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 11:21:32 CDT

Dne Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:16:21AM -0400, Brian K. White napsal(a):
> Martin Sevior wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bryan Cebuliak wrote:

[snip]
> there is more than one method of cut & paste at the xlib level. some apps
> don't recognize both methods. This same or functionally the same issue was
> recently resolved for xwpe. I don't know the details but I can refer you to
> the person who did the fix.

That seems to be the true reason. One method is called SELECTION and
the other CLIPBOARD (do I get it right?).

Anyway, while scrutinizing this problem I found this strange behavior
with GTK+ and GNOME:

I start AbiWord, I write some text
I open the "Edit" menu, the "Copy" menu entry is shaded
I highlight a portion of that text (either with mouse or keyboard)
I re-open the "Edit" menu and the "Copy" menu entry is still shaded :(
Now I move with the mouse a bit, so that another menu pulls down and
then I return back to the "Edit" menu and .. the "Copy" menu entry is
not shaded any more!!

Maybe this is a bug in Gtk+, I use Gtk+ version 1.2.7. Can anyone else
(probably using another version of Gtk+) reproduce this behavior? Note
that you must open the menu with "Copy" shaded first - this bug
doesn't appear if you only open the menu _after_ you selected the
text. Oh well, the "Copy" icon in the toolbar behaves correctly.

bye,

--
Petr Tesarik
Tel: +420 602 575294            http://www.lupa.cz/