Re: X11 clipboard vs. selection

Subject: Re: X11 clipboard vs. selection
From: Pierre Abbat (phma@oltronics.net)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 15:34:01 CDT

I am trying this with kwrite 0.9.0 and AbiWord just after 0.7.9. I type "aoeu"
in kwrite and "snth" in AbiWord. I also have xclipboard running.

I highlight "snth" in AbiWord. No change in xclipboard. I hit copy and "snth"
appears in xclipboard.

I hit Paste in kwrite and it now says "aoeusnth
". Where did the extra line feed come from?

I now highlight "aoeu" in kwrite and hit Copy. No change in xclipboard. How
come?

I hit paste in AbiWord with the cursor after "snth". I get "snthsnth", not
"snthaoeu". "aoeu" is still highlighted in kwrite.

I reset them to "aoeu" and "snth" and do the same again, but this time, after
hitting Copy, I click in the window to deselect the selection.

Copy "snth" from AbiWord to kwrite, nothing happens except in xclipboard. Copy
"aoeu" from kwrite to AbiWord, I get "snthsnth" in AbiWord and xclipboard still
has "snth".

Again I reset them and do the same except with the middle mouse button instead
of copy-paste. This time I get "aoeusnth" in kwrite, "snth" in AbiWord.

I cannot paste anything from konsole (which does not use the clipboard, only
the selection and the middle button) into AbiWord, either with the middle
button or with the Paste button.

I conclude that there are two bugs in AbiWord and one in kwrite:
AbiWord inserts an extra line feed in the selection.
AbiWord does not paste the primary selection with the middle button.
kwrite does not use the xclipboard, but uses something internal to KDE.

phma