Re: Cygwin 1.1.0 build problems, a clue

Subject: Re: Cygwin 1.1.0 build problems, a clue
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 10:39:43 CDT

> Thanks to some help, we now have a line on why AbiWord does not build
under
> CYGWIN 1.1.0. Apparently, pwd in Cygwin 1.1.0 returns
>
> /cygdrive/c/path/to/source
>
> whereas old versions of Cygnus reported
>
> c:/path/to/source
>
> In the makefiles, we set $ABI_ROOT to 'pwd'. This if fine from Cygwin's
> point of view, but no Windows applications, particularly cl, the actualy
> Visual C executable can use it.
>
> So the question is, does anybody know of a way to fix this? The only idea
> I had was to change every assignment of $ABI_ROOT and pipe it through sed
> to strip out the /cygdrive part, but that just seems WAY to silly.
>
> Robert Sievers
> Open Source Evangelist

I have been working on this for about a week now. I've got a working
version but it does involve using sed to strip out /cygdrive/[a-z]/ part,
but most changes are in the abi_rules.mk file. It has a couple of more
complicated parts issues and seems to have problems with the external
libraries. I am curently checking if I broke the CYGWIN 20.1 version. I
should be able to supply a patch by tomorow after a little more testing.

The only issue that I haven't be able to figure out is that when the source
actually exists under the root directory such as /usr/local/src Cygwin works
just like Unix and pwd supplies /usr/local/src which then breaks Windows
applications as the root directory is not generally the harddisk root. The
only fix I can think of is not to install the source there.

Cheers!

Michael D. Pritchett
newbie