Re: Cygwin 1.1.0 build problems, a clue

Subject: Re: Cygwin 1.1.0 build problems, a clue
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 09:04:26 CDT

At 08:39 AM 5/19/00 -0700, you wrote:
>> Thanks to some help, we now have a line on why AbiWord does not build
>under
>> CYGWIN 1.1.0. Apparently, pwd in Cygwin 1.1.0 returns
>>
>> /cygdrive/c/path/to/source
>>
>> whereas old versions of Cygnus reported
>>
>> c:/path/to/source
>>
>> In the makefiles, we set $ABI_ROOT to 'pwd'. This if fine from Cygwin's
>> point of view, but no Windows applications, particularly cl, the actualy
>> Visual C executable can use it.
>>
>> So the question is, does anybody know of a way to fix this? The only idea
>> I had was to change every assignment of $ABI_ROOT and pipe it through sed
>> to strip out the /cygdrive part, but that just seems WAY to silly.
>>
>> Robert Sievers
>> Open Source Evangelist
>>
>I have been working on this for about a week now. I've got a working
>version but it does involve using sed to strip out /cygdrive/[a-z]/ part,
>but most changes are in the abi_rules.mk file. It has a couple of more
>complicated parts issues and seems to have problems with the external
>libraries. I am curently checking if I broke the CYGWIN 20.1 version. I
>should be able to supply a patch by tomorow after a little more testing.

That would be fantastic. I will be the first one to try it I am sure. As
long as older versions of CYGWIN continue to work, and we can avoid
intruding on the other platforms, we will check it in.

>The only issue that I haven't be able to figure out is that when the source
>actually exists under the root directory such as /usr/local/src Cygwin works
>just like Unix and pwd supplies /usr/local/src which then breaks Windows
>applications as the root directory is not generally the harddisk root. The
>only fix I can think of is not to install the source there.

We will go with what we have. If you can get AbiWord building on 1.1.0 for
the most part, but not in all cases, that is an improvement. Either
someone else can pick it up from there, or I will make an FAQ out of it.
Either way, the world will be a better place.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist