re:Patch - XHTML import.

Subject: re:Patch - XHTML import.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 01:59:23 CDT

HI Sam,
        Sorry I lost your original email. I think it would be great for
abi to support as many formats as possible. Unfortunately I cannot test
your patch because I know nothing about xhtml. However I recall some
arguments Paul Rohr made about importing html and I wonder how you would
respond to them.

1. A full html import would require a code base of approximately the
complexity of mozzilla. We don't want to go there.

2. Should we advertise ourselves as having xhtml import when we we can
only support a tiny subset of the available documents? In the case of
other Word Processors we aim to eventually be a superset of them all so I
have no problem starting with a useful subset.

3. What do you currently do for things like tables, lists, math formulae
and the like? Do you try to extract what infor you can even though we
can't properly display it?

4. Is this the start of a kword import filter? If so see 3.

Cheers

Martin