Re: Patch - XHTML import.

Subject: Re: Patch - XHTML import.
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 02:11:41 CDT

According to Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>:
> HI Sam,
> Sorry I lost your original email. I think it would be great for
> abi to support as many formats as possible. Unfortunately I cannot test
> your patch because I know nothing about xhtml. However I recall some
> arguments Paul Rohr made about importing html and I wonder how you would
> respond to them.
>
> 1. A full html import would require a code base of approximately the
> complexity of mozzilla. We don't want to go there.

No. It won't. Just besause we only need to convert information from HTML to
AbiWord native file format, which is much less difficult than actually
rendering it. It is much more a Lynx-like code base.

> 2. Should we advertise ourselves as having xhtml import when we we can
> only support a tiny subset of the available documents? In the case of
> other Word Processors we aim to eventually be a superset of them all so I
> have no problem starting with a useful subset.
>
> 3. What do you currently do for things like tables, lists, math formulae
> and the like? Do you try to extract what infor you can even though we
> can't properly display it?

I think we should add HTML support, at least partial. They are lot of things
useful and doable. Let alone scripting, frame and other annoyances to
concentrate on text style, hyperlink, table (once we have tables in
AbiWord), graphics and al.

Hub