Re: Tables (How hard can it be) ?

Subject: Re: Tables (How hard can it be) ?
From: Daniel Roberts (zuperdee@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 11:13:52 CDT

--- Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:
> I'm afraid it is much harder than that. What if the
> user enters text past
> the next tab stop in a multi-column table?

Uh, if we are to follow the behavior of most other
word processors, the text should fit the frame, NOT
the frame fit the text. The user should be able to
adjust the size of the frames however he wants by
dragging them or using a sizing dialog.

> This needs a whole new infrastructure in abiword. It
> will get done but
> first we should finish off the items in the
> checklist for 1.0. Of course
> if you provides us with working code we would be
> delighted incorporate it
> :-)

I still think if we follow the behavior of other word
processors, it would become much simpler if we simply
thought of each cell as a nested AbiWord document
within the main document, and made the main display
widget re-entrant, so we could simply make the child
documents inherit from the main document. What do you
think of this idea? Each cell could then have its own
properties as well, like its own fonts, margins,
alignment, etc... All exactly as other word
processors do.

=====
Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?
Get the latest JavaScript client sniffer at
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/examples/javascript/browser_type.html

Sincerely,
Daniel
e-mail: zuperdee@penguinpowered.com